Cabin crews at Continental reject latest deal

by William ASTON on October 28, 2010

Cabin crew members for Continental Airlines rejected a proposal from the airline, said the International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers (IAM).

According to IAM, around 55 per cent of the flight attendants rejected the deal after it failed to offer them full reinstatement of items they sacrificed during the last round of negotiations. The union represents nearly 9,300 of Continental’s cabin crewmembers.

The union now says that the proposal was put out for a vote so that members could see the 26-month agreement that had been negotiated so far, which includes pay and no-furlough clauses. Continental said that it would continue to seek a collective agreement with all of its unions to the best interest of the company and its co-workers.

The firm recently became part of United Continental Holdings Inc, after a merger with United Airlines at the beginning of this month created the world’s largest carrier. Flight attendants for the two carriers, however, remain in separate unions.

The newly created airline said it aims to have both carriers operating as a whole by the end of 2011. Shares were up for the company rising 3.8 per cent at closing., however, they fell three cents during aftermarket trading.

Comments on this entry are closed.

Previous post: Travel firms oppose Google takeover of ITA Software

Next post: Airlines warn Government over increased Air Passenger Duty