Obama Assesses Blame for Botched Attack

by Alister POOLE on January 12, 2010

Since a Nigerian man attempted to blow up a Trans-Atlantic flight that was headed for Detroit a large scale investigation is being made into how a man who was on both the US and UK terror watch lists could have made it through two international airports with an explosive device in his underwear.  Not only has this made airports re-think their security measures but it has led President Barack Obama to look personally into the security failings that allowed this to happen in the first place.  Although Obama said that there will not be any firings over the event, his White House review did single out both the CIA and the National Counter Terrorism Center for their failure to stop the attempt.  Obama claims that all the necessary intelligence was there and that these agencies just failed to connect the dots.

The review of the two intelligence agencies found that there had been three key failings which allowed Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab to get aboard an US airplane with an explosive device.  Obama said that the first mistake was that the threat of al-Qaida’s presence in the Arabian Peninsula was not taken seriously.  He also claims that the agencies should have been able to put the pieces together which would have allowed them to realize that this man was a threat, especially considering his own father alerted the authorities that he thought his son was planning an attack.  The last mistake is that Abdulmutallab should have been placed on a terrorist no-fly list which would have prevented him from flying.

Comments on this entry are closed.

Previous post: Men Arrested for Bomb Scare in Heathrow

Next post: Man Arrested in New Jersey Security Breach